Thursday, September 13, 2012

Bangkok trip - Music places (Chinatown)

Well, I felt as if a load has been taken away from my back, now that the audition is done and all that is left for me is to wait for October 24th, the day when my school starts.

During my one week stay in Bangkok, needless to say, I went for guitar-shopping. Well, window guitar-shopping. It took me quite a while to find the places there. The biggest problem is that not all the people can speak English or even some of them do, their English is so broken that you will hardly understand them unless you have great patience. Luckily, technology like GPS helped me a lot. I got lost 4-6 times and if not for GPS, I don't know where I would be right now.

While I was in Singapore, I asked on Soft.com.sg for places where I can get musical instruments. I got the most common reply. "Google it", "Search up for old posts", "Don't ask us to spoon-feed you". Well, Googling works of course but you get tons of answers and you won't have the time to read every single thing. So I am just sharing on how I managed to find the places here myself.

The best place to shop for instruments stuff in Bangkok is at Chinatown.
Inside that red circle is where all the music shops are located.There's quite a number of them there and the main distributors of some brands are located there, too (Swing guitar, Schecter, Fender, Gibson, Boss, Roland, Korg).

How to get there:
You can of course walk there but it is ridiculously far. Taxi would be expensive as well especially if you are unlucky enough to meet one of those taxi-drivers who charges a lot to non-Thai speaking foreigners. So the best way is take bus. But firstly, you have to get to Hua Lamphong MRT station. Next, you exit through Exit 4 and you will see a bus stop around you. From there you can take many buses but I will just list a few easy-to-remember bus routes: 4, 40, 53, 73ก, 529. Ok. All these 5 buses have slightly different bus route but what you have to remember is to alight on the next stop when the bus makes a 90 degree left turn. Here's an example on the route 73ก takes.

As simple as that. The name of the bus stop is Wat Chakkrawat School. Then you have to walk back to the opposite direction.
Then try to spot Panasonic as you walk. When you see it, cross the road and there you will see Asia Music. After that, it is shopping time!

NOTE: There will be some fake stuff around so beware of them. I saw a few of them. They are usually priced much lower than the authentic ones but they will claim its real if you ask them. So to be safe, if you are worried of getting scammed, shop at those bigger shops with a more trust-able shop settings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this buddy, I really feel you for the lack of help from people on the net (in Singapore on your account). It's like asking someone in the street for directions and them just telling you to your face that they're not going to help you.

Unknown said...

Hello, do you have a hard case for stick bass guitar?