Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Album of the Month: G5 Project 2013

Probably my last attempt in reviving this blog!

Whenever I mention the name "G5", many people tend to ask me questions such as,

"G5? I think you mean G3"
"So now G3 has become G5?"
"What's G5? Something like G3"


Firstly, it isn't G3. It isn't made up of a group of Caucasian guitarists/artists (I apparently don't have any better way to describe them). Some may say that it is the Japanese version of the famous G3 (and I can't disagree with that). Some, mostly who worships their favourite artists from G3, even said this is probably a cheap knockoff version of their 'gods' without even listening to them. This is what I would call as 'fanaticism', not a mere idolization.


Tracklist

01  Dying to survive (Yamato)
02  Emergency (nike)
03  Kamuy (a2c)
04  Flounder (Takajii)
05  Virus (Godspeed)
06  Fragile Seasons (Takajii)
07  Journey (Godspeed, John Graham and Koyo Sonae)


As a short introduction to G5, it is actually a project by 5 Japanese guitarists to showcase their music. This is not the first G5 album and in fact, there are already a total of 4 G5 albums which were released every 2-3 years. I just bought my copy just a few days ago. And here's what I have to say about the album as a whole.

The previous albums have never disappointed me, and so is G5 2013. Comparing to the previous albums, there are more 'contemporary' elements. For instance, in the song "Virus", it has been seasoned with elements from dubstep music. While I am not a huge fan of dubstep, it is nonetheless a much interesting form of music among the rest of contemporary music. So the idea of a typical modal rock song spiced up with dubstep makes it indeed an interesting, at least for me. Some may find it repulsive but we are all entitled to our personal opinions, don't we?

I also feel that there are songs that has much of a film music (or trailer music) feel to it. "Fragile Seasons" sounds like a background music which would fit perfectly in a Japanese movie while "Journey" would seemingly bring you to an adventurous tour inside a Hollywood movie. After all, the latter was co-produced by John R. Graham. If you don't know him, you only need to re-watch the trailers of Avatar or The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor to hear him at work. Even "Dying To Survive" could possibly be used in an a trailer of an action movie.

My personal favourite in this album would be Dying to Survive and Journey. Studying jazz and playing it is fun but at times, it always feels good to listen to music which you truly like, no?

Personal Rating: ♠♠♠♠♠

And I am thinking of starting up a new monthly entry "Album of the Month" in which I would talk about what I think of the album as a whole. In other words, it is some sort of a review.

Loki

No comments: