Monday, January 31, 2011

Restring errors...

I helped my friend restring his acoustic guitar. (I love to do this! Polish guitar, clean here and there)
The G-string was already restrung so left only the other 5 strings for me to do his job.
After I am done restringing all the strings and stretching them properly, I continue tuning it. What did I found out? 

-There is a problem in G-string-
No matter which direction you turn the tuner (Clockwise or anti-CW), the string will tighten. As you know, if one direction tighten the string, the other should loosen it, isn't? 

Apparently, that friend of mine do not know proper method of restringing. 

He tightened the lower end of the string before he tied around the tuner. Next, he discovered that there is a long 'leftover' strings dangling at the tuner. So he wound it up over the tuner. I should have taken a picture to better illustrate this 'scenario'. 

This is a very wrong way to restring any instrument I believe. 

This guy owns a guitar with a Floyd Rose bridge and I really wonder how does he ever tune his FR guitar. Hmm...

No comments: