Sunday, May 1, 2011

Smashbox for me?

As I went to SV guitar to grab a few strings, I managed to try Ibanez Smashbox SM7 with an Ibanez S770FM ATF.
A friend of mine asked what is the differences between S570B and S770FM (They differ in price by $80).
S570B WH
S770FM ATF
The 'FM' in S770FM means 'Flamed-maple'. It is made up of a flamed maple top with mahogany body unlike S570B which doesn't feature a flamed-maple. Do take note that S770FM has a neck binding which stretches over to its headstock. This could be the reason for the price difference. Spec-wise, they are the same.

SM7 is a good distortion pedal. However, it is a bit too fierce for the type I'm looking for. I tweaked the drive to 8 o'clock and it is already very distorted, enough to cater metal-type of songs.
It has 'void' function which serves as a built-in noise gate. It also has a 'smooth' and 'sharp' feature. 'Sharp' gives you the crunchy tone while smooth gives you clarity. Sadly, it is not really the one I'm looking for. =(

No comments: