Saturday, May 14, 2011

Swing 22-350TE

Every time I go down to City hall, I usually try electric guitars. Yesterday, I decided to do something for a change, to try out acoustics. So I decided to try a Swing.
Swing SS-350TE

Let me explain why I choose this one. I like a mellow/warm sound for it. Thus, I prefer a dreadnought. However, I usually play up to 21 frets and cutaway is equally important for me even though it changes to sound dynamics.
For $330, this guitar is heavenly, what is termed 'value-for-money'. You get a solid top, and you get a pre-amp as well. I also have nothing bad to say about Korean's craftsmanship. However, SS-350TE lacks the clarity when open chords are played. It works better when you are picking single notes and it sounds better as well, given its mellow sound. I would suggest the non-cutaway version if you want better clarity.

5 comments:

GZNG said...

Don't mind i "hijack" your post eh loki? haha
one thing i've noticed, being an acousticky guitarist...
The wood on several models, think might be this one as well, though claims to be of a solid make, it lacks the feel of it. The solid spruce top, though has the weight, lacks the distinct, mellow hum of a solid top acoustic guitar.
Maybe it is a solid wood top, but just not the "select" piece.
I've done several tryouts of the swing acoustics, and i'll agree individual notes have an extent of clarity, but as you said, the chords have a "mashed" drone.
My say is that this is a good budget guitar, considering the integration of the preamp (Artec i think) makes a good package, though for me the wood is not my kind of feel. But STILL a good buy still for beginners or intermediate players on a tight pocket shopping trip :D

subversion.sg said...

guitars which sound dead unplugged are usually more appealing once you plug them in.

Loki said...

@GZNG: it is not an artec. It's a Prener-LC Preamp. I don't really pay much attention when it comes to acoustic preamps. Hahaha.

@sub: I didn't try it plugged-in that day because I believe many who buy acoustic guitar will usually play it unplugged, especially those who getting it as their first guitar. However, if that is really the case, they should rather go for the non-preamp version. =)

GZNG said...

Oh have you guys tried the Acoustics down at BGWGuitars? The strings have a very nice, not slick, but somewhat 'slimey' feel that is quite comfortable and not hurting on the fingers. Anyone knows how Brendon gets that feel? Or is it the elixir strings?

Loki said...

From what i know, taylor guitars are shipped with Elixir strings. The feel you have been talking about could just be the feel of the strings.