Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The 'Colourful' argument

I'm sure that every Les Paul fans would probably know what a heritage (cherry) sunburst finish looks like. Here's the story:

A friend of mine bought a Rally GL-300.
Judging from the yellow/orange to red sunburst, you can probably tell that it is a heritage sunburst. However, my friend thought it was a honey sunburst. So I corrected him that it is heritage sunburst, not honey sunburst. He didn't believe me but he still said 'Sorry, my bad'. A while later, he replied that it is not a heritage sunburst and he's pretty much sure that it is honey sunburst. 
"A heritage burst doesn't have a yellow/golden centre. The whole thing is brown...": that's his justification.
Sunburst get their names from the colour it spreads to, not the centre. It is called heritage (cherry) sunburst because the outer colour is a cherry red colour. Likewise, a honey sunburst is named that way because the outer colour is golden brown like that of honey. In fact, most of the sunburst starts with a yellow/golden centre like my dear friend suggested.
Actually, not knowing what colour it is is not a sin. However, I believe that a guitarist should at least know about the instrument he is using, if not in depth, at least the fundamentals like what colour it is and what kind of guitar is it (strat, tele, etc...)
I'm not here to insult my friend or whatever. In fact, he's still my very good friend. However, what pisses me off is that he didn't even bother to google (Google wasn't created for nothing) before arguing back and he was adamant with his beliefs. 
Sometimes, I think I care too many things and often gets me into troubles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes what he got told when he bought the guitar would affect his perception.

i went to buy a guitar and this bloke told me i can't use it for metal.
he was wrong. (with a little help of a DiMarzio Super Distortion)

subversion.sg said...

gee. that's one of the most uneducated thing to say- 'not suitable for____________'... i believe there is no such thing, it's a matter of suitability, not about a clear exclusion.

Loki said...

Seems like we've experienced this at least once. Hehe. When I was hunting for my first guitar, I was told the exact same thing. I was annoyed so I told him I don't have a specific genre. The person,for some reason, was unhappy with my answer. Well, such people exist....
I won't disclose which shop it is. hehe.. (in case it affects its sales or anything like that)