Monday, December 12, 2011

Cleaning the frets - steel wool-ing

I used to use GHS Guitar Gloss to clean the hardwares of my guitar but I also used it to polish the frets. Apart from that, I also use steel wool to polish the frets, especially if the frets are rusty or extremely dirty.
Well, everyone would use a 0000 grade steel wool. You can use medium grade (000) ones but it would be better if you can find the very fine grade (0000). You can find them in any hardware stores, DIY stores or places where you can probably buy sand papers. I think you can get it from Homefix as well. For S$25 if I'm not wrong. They are the most effective way to clean rusty or 'yellowed' frets. In the above picture, I was cleaning a guitar which is a birthday present. But the condition of the frets weren't that pleasant-looking. So I decided to clean them using steel wool. Usually people would tape the fretboard with masking tape. I used a piece of paper like the one shown above. Some won't even mask the fretboard but I prefer it to be protected. Steel wool, even in its fine grade, may scratch the fretboard and I don't like that. Well, if you would think logically, which is harder, steel or wood? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey man, i wouldn't recommend steel wool for your fret cleaning.

i'm sure you noticed the steel fillings that drop out whenever you use it. those fillings may get into the little spaces in the wood of your fretboard, or worst, your pickups.

you might have seen other people using steel wool on their own guitars, but imo, they are doing more harm than good!

so, instead of steel wool, why not use a 2000-8000 grit sandpaper?

here's a helpful video that has convinced me not to use steel wool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOYyTHpBMo

Loki said...

Thanks for the info man! I usually mask-tape my pickups and the sound hole of my acoustic so tat the steel filings may not get it the pups. As for the gap in the frets, i dont really face such problems. But nonetheless. I'll try using the sandpaper instead next time. Maybe it's a better solution!