Friday, December 2, 2011

De(lay)licious

This is my X'mas present~ (Sorry if I kept repeating this. Guess the delay is contagious and I am being 'delayed' as well.
Summary
This is a very simple delay. Delay knobs control the delay time (well, duh). The depth controls the modulation. As you know, Memory Boy is a delay with modulations like chorus and vibrato. Blend allows you to blend between wet and dry signal. When it is totally turned down, it's 100% dry signal and if it is turned fully up, it's 100% wet signal. 12 o'clock would be where there is an equal amount of wet and dry signal. It's kind of different from MXR Carbon Copy which comes with a Mix control. Mix allows you to mix the signals (from 100% dry to 100% dry + 100% Wet). Actually, I like the Blend control. It allows you to create some type of reverse delay. And to control the number of repeats, there is Feedback for you. I usually keep it from 8 o'clock to 12 o'clock. Once it passes about 3 o'clock or so, it will start to self-oscillate and it is LOUD, so don't get shocked! xD

Modulations
Still haven't try the all the modulations apart from Chorus. I don't have an expression pedal. So without it, the modulation selection switch controls the rate of modulation (chorus for slow, Exp. pedal for medium and vibrato for fast). The waveform toggle switch there allows you to choose between triangle wave and square wave. The toggle switch only affects the modulation and do nothing to the delay. When it is in the 'triangle wave' form, the chorus it produces is the usual chorus of many chorus pedals. The Square wave is the one I am not used to. It produces a temporary pitch shifting effect. Well, but it's a useful function and I will definitely have some use of it in the future when I get used to it.

Delay
As for the delay sound, it is relatively bright. It doesn't add too much colour to your guitar tone like CC would make your tone darker. Memory boy's delay is relatively clean and brighter compared to some other analog delay pedals. The pedal's max delay time is 550ms or approximately half a second. But I think it is kind of shorter than 550ms. So I checked up on the net and apparently, it is said that you would need an expression pedal to get the full amount of delay time. However, the delay time there is still good enough for me. Some would say that 400-550ms is a very short delay time compared to those delay time given by digital delays (2s-8s or even 21s). But my question is, does everyone really need such a long delay time?



Sorry if this review is lousy. It's my 1st time ever talking about a delay pedal!

Loki 

No comments: