Monday, December 12, 2011

Satch-uration (Episode 2)

Well, it took me quite a while to get a proper review on this red box of distortion. 
The reason I took so long to write about this is because I was looking for a bigger amp than my practice amps. After all, these practice amps can't bring out the full potential of Satchurator at all. I almost feel like reselling it until I tried it on a better amp, a full tube amp to be precise.

Summary
In my opinion, 10W and 15W practice amps deteriorates the tone of Satchurator. It makes the distortion sounds so dry and makes you feel like the tone lacks the 'colour'. When Satchurator is connected to a tube amp, it creates a very tube-like distortion. And you get nothing of what you would get from an practice amp. This is an epitome on how amp makes up most of your guitar tone and how important it is.

Controls
As many distortion pedals, Satchurator comes with 3 knobs namely, gain, tone and volume. Many said that Satchurator is a 'versatile' pedal. To be frank, the change in the gain as you tweak your gain knobs is minimal. Even if you roll off all your gain, you will still get a very distorted tone. So no matter how you adjust your gain, it doesn't make much of a difference. You may say it is not versatile but remember that it still has the 'More' switch to increase your gain. Now, that does increases your gain significantly and adds up more punch into your guitar tone. If anyone tells you that you can use Satchurator as a mild drive as well, I would disagree with him. Modtone Speedbox does that better. So I would say gain-wise, it is not that versatile.  
The Tone knob is rather responsive. Well, that's actually a good thing since it gives you a larger tonal range. So tone-wise, yes it is versatile.
Volume control doesn't just control the loudness. I feel that it does affect its tone as well. The higher your volume setting is, the more treble response it has. So whenever I make any changes to the volume, I would have to adjust the gain and the tone again. 

Sorry that I haven't been blogging. I've been busy packing all my stuff since I'm moving and nothing is really going according to plan. 

No comments: