Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pandora MINI presets settings

Here are some of the Pandora MINI presets which I made for myself at home. Most of them are presets specifically made for a SSS strat (which is my Squier).
 These two settings are mostly used for playing ballad songs. I have to create two different settings for one that is single-coil friendly and one for humbuckers. This is because my squier has more high end than my UNO. So I have to reduce some treble and increase a bit of bass. For my UNO, I did just the direct opposite. I added a bit of delay in both settings so that the sustains would be slightly better (well of course some vibratos would help with that, too). The purpose of the chorus is to add some colour to the tone, some warmth to be precise. But it is very minimum because too much chorus would actually produce the 'detune' effect. It would sound nice if it is played clean but not so when played dirty.
 This is the preset I used whenever I practice the song "Falling in love again" by Jack Thammarat. I wanted some crispy and 'glassy' tone on my strat and I can't get it from any of the amp modulations in this. So I decided to improvise a little; I used a Boutique Clean, which I think has that glassy tone I'm looking for, and I added a bass overdrive. And I got just the tone I want. Again, I added some delay because the song itself is played with some delays too. It sounded a bit empty so I decided add a little chorus again. I am a fan of chorus and I would add a minimum chorus in almost everything I play. When I am using this setting to play that song, I still have to play around with my tone knobs. I rolled down the tone for my bridge pup because it was excessively bright. I see no problem with the neck pup though.
 This preset is named Rusty Nail because I was playing X Japan's 'Rusty Nail' that time. No delay for this one. Sometimes, delay doesn't always fit every songs. I use this setting for both single coils and humbuckers, with some adjustment made to the guitar using the tone knobs. But most of the time, I would use Ballad (H) with the delay off and tone knobs rolled down slightly when I am playing with UNO.
Lastly, the Warm OD preset and I usually use this most of the time whenever I am playing Christian songs. Once again, the delay is back to give that 'warmth' in the tone and of course, there is chorus (though you can make do without it too). Reverb is halved this time because I feel that too much reverb would make the tone 'overly' warm. I also reduced the number of repeats for the delay too. It may sound contradicting when I name this preset as "WARM OD" and yet the bass is only 2.7. But it is because that BOUTIQUE OD modulation already sound bassy enough. This setting is however made for my strat and I have yet to play with my UNO.

I also use the 'Jack Tham' preset for playing Christian songs and other songs of that are not 'fierce' but requires me to switch from clean and overdrive throughout the song.  An example I can think of would be Taylor Swift's Love Story and for a Christian song "The Angels Cry Holy" by Planetshaker. I rolled down the volume knob by half or so when I am playing clean. The purpose of rolling the volume is to reduce the gain and not really the volume. After all, our hearing can only detect the changes of the volume knob from 1-3 and 8-10. In my opinion, volumes changes from 3-8 is hardly audible since the pot I am using for the volume is a linear taper. But the audible changes is the difference in the amount of drive. After all, I don't usually use the volume knob to control the volume but the amount of 'dirt'. Volume can be controlled using a Volume pedal.

There are more presets than this but I'll leave them for another day!

EDIT: If you are playing your Mini through a small practice amp and you set everything according to the settings above, you can still get a decent tone if you crack up your bass and mid to about 7/10 and 7-8/10 respectively and cut down the treble to about 2/10. In the end of the day, there is always the EQ to adjust the tone we want and thus we should fully utilise it

Loki

1 comment:

Serban said...

These are useful, can you post the .pxm files rather than only screenshots?