Friday, June 8, 2012

Dr Boogie, Mesa Boogie ?? (Part one)


This is my first post about pedal building, I'd try to be as concise as possible and cover as much ground as possible at the same time!!

This project is called Dr. Boogie, its considered as a replica of a Mesa Boogie™ Dual Rectifier. I tried the pedal with all original values and weren't too happy with the sound that I got. Sure it closely emulates the sound of a Dual Rectifier, but the TMB (Treble, Mid, Bass) controls were not responsive enough for me, hence, I modified the values of the caps in the pedal, resulting in a more "raw" tone. (If anyone is interested in the values please comment below!!)

You may have noticed that there is 6 knobs on the pedal, quite many for a pedal ehh?? The control are as follows.
Top row, left to right: Treble Mid Bass
Bottom row, left to right: Presence Gain Volume

The presence knob acts like a small volume trimmer and a mid-high end tone filter, which has a rather low sweep, hence indeed, its called a "presence knob" rather than a "mid-high" knob. This knob is highly interactive with the TMB controls, and though I find it very difficult to fiddle with the knobs to find a sweet spot, the end result is a sweet but brutal DISTORTION!!! This knob is definitely useful when playing live!!!

More to come, stay tuned :D

Z

No comments: