Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The UNO tryouts

This is a continuation of my 'reports' on UNO. On the same day I tried the UNO Standard, me and my instructor also tried 2 other UNO guitars:
They are identical to each other in terms of neck profile, body, build and wood. The only difference is that D-Classic comes with Seymour Duncan 59' and JB' while the Original is mounted with Tesla VR-60 Classic. Oh, there is another difference I forgot to mention. The Original comes with a matte finish while the D-Classic is gloss-finished. So appearance-wise, these are the similarities and differences.
As for the tone, D-classic has more of the midrange response, which I think is probably due to the SD JB on the bridge. The 59' gives a glassy tone in cleans. I find that the the mid frequency for the 59 is scooped unlike the JB on the bridge. Due to the fact that both are uncovered pickups, they sound rather bright and I would say that you don't really get the 'vintage' tone if you are looking for one. However, if what you are searching for is a guitar that can handle high gains for your music, D-classic may be the one for you. In lower gains, it doesn't sound that appealing to me. However, there is always the amp EQs for us to adjust and tweak the sound we want. So it is nothing our Amp EQs can't deal with. 
For the 'vintage' tone seekers, UNO Original may be your friend. I believe that the covered pickups are one of the factors to get the vintage tone. The covers make the tone less brighter and more nasal. The VR-60 Classics is also made to achieve the vintage sounding. If I remember correctly, the 'VR' there stands for "Vintage reviewed'.
Both pieces are very well-made. It is almost flawless. For the price you are paying ($1.25k for D-classic, $1.1k for Original), it is definitely worth it.
I wouldn't say which one is a better guitar; it is a hard question to answer. As long as the guitar is suitable for whatever you are playing, I would say it is the guitar you will like. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post (y)

"there is always the amp EQs for us to adjust and tweak the sound we want" - very true statement, i still get people (rather noob because they can't see i got a humbucker on the bridge) telling me my telecaster is only good for country...

Loki said...

Hey! Thanks for the comment. Really appreciate it.
Well, tat is not true. Telecasters can be used for many other genres. John5 clearly doesn't use his tele for just country. =)