Monday, September 19, 2011

Can wall hangers damage your guitar?

My dad asked me if it is a good idea to hang all the guitars back in my country using a wall hanger. There are quite a lot of them and it's space-consuming. I told him not to. He asked me why and if wall hangers can damage the neck joint of the guitar.  
My answer is.... it won't. Do you know that the strings exert more force on the neck joint than the weight of the guitar does on the neck? Some calculations and researches shows that strings' tension is about 200lbs (about 890N). How heavy is a guitar? Assuming that it's 10kg, the weight of the guitar would be 98.1N. What is 98.1N compared to 890N anyway. Some will say it weakens the neck joint. I would say, not significant enough. If hanging on the wall is dangerous, why would guitar shops choose to adapt this method?

But again, why did I say no? Here's my reason. By hanging it on the wall, you are teasing the gravity. Unless you can defy law of gravity (like my hair does), it will still be pulled towards the ground and there are still risks of falling off the wall. Moreover, the wall of my house back in Myanmar isn't trustworthy at all, considering the fact that the house is rather ancient (Heaven knows when it was built). 

No comments: