Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The 'Pot' & 'taper' story

Someone once told me that all the pots in Fender and Squier guitars are audio tapered. My nature is not to believe in something until I see it for myself. So I looked for the stock parts of my Squier and decided to give the pots in it a closer look.
If everything is supposed to be audio tapers, all the pots there should be A500K. But see the B500K there? That is a linear taper and it must have been the volume pot on my Squier. That is usually the case anyway. Now we know that not all Squiers have audio tapered pot in it. 500K pots on a Stratocaster with all single coils? It is not a very good idea as it will make sound very bright? But my Squier is made of Agathis, a lineage of mahogany. So it has some characteristics of mahogany. So I guess it balances out.

No comments: