Saturday, September 10, 2011

A factory in hand (DF7)

This is what was inside the Takashimaya bag. Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory. One the X-series pedals from Digitech. Another popular X-series is the DigiDelay. A few non X-series will be the Grunge, Death Metal, Bad Monkey and Hot Rod and any other Digitech that doesn't have that boring Arial Black or Impact (my guess) font on it.
Did I get it from Swee Lee? Of course not. Not at this time when there is no sales or any promotions. That would cost me quite a lot of money. Anyway, I got this from Subversion for a very good price.
First impression: "Damn it's heavy!". Well, it is heavier than any other Digitech pedals. Well, that doesn't affect the tone and tone is what matters the most. This pedal is called 'Distortion Factory' for the simple reason that it has 7 models of distortion/overdrive in it. It also has a 4-band equaliser like Boss MT-2. In different models, the knobs function different. So it's better to check the manual before trying it out.
Model 1: Ibanez TS-9
You can call it a replication of the famous TS-9. Though it is not exactly the same as TS-9, it is still amazingly close. Moreover, you are not just limited to a Tone knob on DF-7. With Low, Mid and Mid Freq controls available, it gives you a greater EQ flexibility. Some of us do not wish our overdrive to sound too bassy and with DF-7, you can cut down some of it. 

Model 2: DOD Overdrive/Preamp 250
Overdrive? What it actually offers is near the level of a distortion. I haven't try a DOD Preamp 250 before and they are quite hard to find nowadays. I still enjoy this effect though. The real DOD Preamp 250 comes with just a Level knob and a Gain knobs. So this is like a rehousing of Preamp 250 with a 4-band EQ controls.

Model 3: Boss DS-1
Who doesn't know about DS-1? I can't hear much differences between the emulated DS-1 & the real thing. But I definitely enjoy the DS-1 here more than its real orange-coloured kin because of the Mid control that is provided on it. No need for a mid cut mod. 

Model 4: Pro Co Rat
To be frank, I feel that this model is the least appealing model among all the 7. The emulation is a far cry from the real thing. No matter how I tweak, I still don't get the sound I want. So I proceeded to the next model.

Model 5: Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Another popular Boss. I doubt anyone will fail to recognise that black box of metal. Well, I was never a fan of MT-2. I feel that MT-2 sounds quite dry by all itself alone. Perhaps a bit of chorus may make it sound better? Anyway, the emulation of quite well done. It brings along all that dryness I've been complaining about. 

Model 6: DigiTech Metal Master
This distortion is awesome. The main issue of the real thing is that there is a mid scooped voicing, which some find it rather annoying. The 'Morph' control on the real thing works as the Mid and Mid Freq combined together. You can smoothen the distortion by 'Morphing' it but the two controls are 'married' to each other. DF-7 is the 'divorced' version of Metal Master. Yes, the Morph control is gone but why would you need one when you have a separate controls for Mid and Mid Freq? A Metal Master with 4 band Eq... Ignore the real thing and get this one instead.

Model 7: Electro-Harmonix Big Muff π
Well, what I say about this? It sounds like a fuzz distortion like it is supposed to be. This is an imitation but I can't tell the great difference between the real Big Muff π. Sounds great enough for the $$ you pay for.

Conclusion
If you want to get many different distortions, DF-7 is something you should consider. I love it for its EQ flexibility. I'm not a sound engineer but guitarists do care about their tones so EQ flexibility is very essential, another reason why I dismiss MXR Distortion + when I was looking for a distortion pedal.

Of course, there are some bad things about DF-7. 
  1. It's power-hungry. It can suck an alkaline battery dry in 3 hours. This is to be expected because this is a digital unit and it will eat up more power than analog units. Time to get an adapter. I have my Cioks to feed this 'glutton'. This applies to all in the X-series from Digitech since they are all digital. 
  2. When you switch from one model to another, you always need to go and retweak every single thing. It will start to get annoying at one point. So best if you note down the settings on a piece of paper. Photographic memory fails most of the time. Trust me.


The above is how the battery compartment looks like. If you own Behringers or other Digitech pedals, you know how to open it up. If not, please refer to the manual. All you need is a pen or a fingernail.
Anything missing? You are supposed to have all the things shown above.

5 comments:

Joshua said...

NAISE!!!

subversion.sg said...

i deem the midrange control here to be the reason behind this pedal's good performance...

Loki said...

it is bro! Haha. Thx for this awesome piece. It's now with my cousin. He's playing around with it. Hahaha.

subversion.sg said...

hope the Digitech amp makes it here soon :-)

Loki said...

Yeah.. I'm quite eager for it's arrival as well. I wonder how long it will take, and what will the pricing be