Thursday, March 31, 2011

Kamikaze.... Episode-2

Just to reinforce something, which many of you already know but some pay little attention to it.
Regardless of what guitar (acoustic, classical, electric blah blah blah) it is, all guitars are FRAGILE!
Even though it's not my guitar, it hurts to see a guitar 'crippled'. Here is the scenario.
I was jamming with my other friend in front of my CCA room when a girl came up with a Masestro SD-1 (laminated spure top with mahogany sides) to us and said, "Could you help me check? The guitar seems to be out of tune."


It was out of tune. But the reason isn't that simple. The headstock of the guitar was broken. I failed to take a picture of it. (Of course, it won't be nice to take photo of the guitar when the culprit is crying.) But I managed to find a similar case of it. 
(Okay, the cat is cute xD)

According to her, the guitar strap came off and neck of the guitar dived towards the floor. Now, how do the strap come off? It didn't break or anything. In fact, it is not the straps fault. It is the player's fault.

The above picture will describe how it comes off. If the guitar strap is folded as shown above, it is as good as trying to take it off. This is the most common reason of 'kamikaze-ing'. This folding will usually happen at the back of the guitar rather than the front strap lock. You must watch out for this and correct it before your guitar kisses the floor. 

This is not gonna happen to me. All my straps are securely locked. 
This doesn't give 100% protection but at least 90% (or 95%). I will still take the pain to check my straps after every song.

I am sure many of you know this but how many of you actually take the effort to check?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the strap locks may act as a lever and with the force of the strap pulling against it, pull out the screw holding the strap button in place. be sure to check, it happened to my tele once :(

Anonymous said...

hey bro, a couple of questions
1) how much was your strat's paint job
2) how you get the guy to do it?

Loki said...

Well, that is true.. It will be as good as pulling the nail off using a hammer's claw. I feel sad for your tele man. =( hope it doesnt happen to any of us again.

Loki said...

Hi bro,
It is not a paint job. It is simply just a decal sticked onto the body. It is not at all cheap though. The cost depends on the design on the decal. Mine is a full body wrap and costs about $100.
As for your 2nd qn, there are actually a few designs u can choose from his facebook website. I shall post it here.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120747074609394
I designed my own decal, pass him the design through email and tell him the way i want. He'll meet up with you and get ur guitar for decal-ing. Take note that he charges extra $20 for removing pickups and putting them back.