Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ernie Ball Coated Slinky? Not for me

My Squier is currently strung with a set of Ernie Ball Coated Slinky (Gauge 9). After 5 rounds of playing my Squier, I've concluded that Ernie Ball isn't the string for me.
Here are my personal opinion on this set of strings.

Good
It is very nice to bend. Usually for strings with 9 gauge, I tend to over-bend them since I'm too accustomed to the normal gauge 10 on my Fernandes. However, I don't seem to have any problem bending on my Squier with this set of strings. It could be me having more control over gauge 9 or could be this set of strings doing magic. The titanium reinforced technology isn't a bluff as well. At least the strings do not break at the ball end (like the Gallistrings did last time).

Bad
I've got very sweaty palms. I could rust a set uncoated strings in 2-3 plays. There are ways to solve this sweaty palms problem like using certain lotion but I can't be bothered to buy it and apply it on my hand every time I am to play guitar. Though I've never used it, 'lotion' implies that they will be sticky feeling. 
So what I would look for in a set of coated strings is simply this: long-lasting. This coated Slinky set started rusting after 5 plays of 1.5 hour each round. With one set costing me $15 each, this is definitely not going to work for me. After all, I am just a JC student and not an working adult.

Conclusion
I should stick back to GHS coated Boomers. It is so far the long-lasting strings. Of course, I'm not saying GHS strings has the best feel but what I am looking for in a set of string is how long they can last. They are also the cheapest coated strings I've seen so far.

No comments: