Friday, July 15, 2011

Homecoming? Not really.

My dear Squier is back (for one day and I still haven't got a name for my Squier yet).
My results for my Prelim-1 were rather discouraging (I'm not sure why we have 2 prelims). However, my Squier cheered me up quite a lot (and of course all my friends who have been cheering me up). The new pickups that 'dwell' in my Squier is Tesla Plasma-1 (but you already knew that, don't you?). And the wrapped neck is already reverted to normal. Action is set to relatively low but not too low. I tend to hit the other strings during a bend when the action is too low.
It was pretty much of a gamble when I decided to install these pups. I have little prior knowledge about them. I was told, "Tesla sounds good with almost any guitar". Based on this statement alone, I decided to change the pups. And I'm not disappointed at all. Plasma-1 gives the exact sound I want from a single coil (not too twangy).
I decided to give my Squier an Orange drop as well. Many people said that orange drop improves a guitar's tone. I believe orange drop gives a guitar a wider range of tonal control instead. 
All 3 pots, one volume and 2 tone, are changed to Tone Drive pots. The old pots were unresponsive. I had many troubles because of that during the Stardust 2011. I should have changed it since then but I somehow managed to survive with that this long. Anyway, the knobs are now more responsive and this is very important for me since I use all the knobs. 
And do you notice something here?
Well, no more rusty screws! Mike replaced all the rusty ones with a set of fresh screws instead, and it is F.O.C. Thanks very much, Mike! :D 

UPDATE (7.21pm): The Squier is back at SV. Some fret problems to be fixed. Only God knows when it will be back. Not that SV takes that long but I don't know when I will be able to collect it. 

P.S. Bro Z, I promised to give a sound sample but apparently, my sound guy isn't free and I am a total noob when it comes to recording and stuffs. xD Will try to get it done soon.

2 comments:

finalover said...

how much did it cost you

Loki said...

Hmm, the pups costs $135. Wiring is $55. Set up is $40. 1 pot costs $7. Guitar jack is $5. I wouldn't bother repairing the Squier if it is not my first guitar.